[alberg30] outboard engines

rap1208 at aol.com rap1208 at aol.com
Sat Jun 24 21:27:40 PDT 2000

Jist a few more comments about outboards.  Owned an Alberg Sea Sprite with a
well.  it was off center, but water never came into the boat from the well. I
would sometimes take the 5.5 hp johnsonout and put it in the cabin.  packed
with some decl cushions.  I also make a plate to fit into the opening , held
down with screws, th fair the opening.  The bolts were already there, so
perhaps when the boat was new, it had one.  It was somewhat of a chore to
haul that engine out while sailing, and to put it back.  I also had an
Aerial, with a 6 hp Johnson.  It wouldn't run with the hatch closed either,
but the Ariel had a removeable hatch about 10 " by 12" on the vertical
bulkhead forward ot the engine that got air in for it.  I made two mods to
the engine,  I reamed out the water and exhaust outlet ahat was above water,
and rana 3/8 copper tube down so it exhausted just above the cavation plate,
I also cut some of the rubber seal from each side of the cover to get more air
 to the carb.  This removed most of the smell because it came out underwater,
and the engine could breath very well with the wooden hatch removed and the
cover down.  I banged my leg very badly one night trying to get the outboard
back  after a race.  I had bloodclots and had to sit abound for a week with
my leg up..I sold the outboard and installed a Vire inboard engine, and was
quite happy with the results
That was a project, but it came out very well
Russ

http://click.egroups.com/1/5543/10/_/476031/_/961907270/