[alberg30] short shake down sail

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Mon Mar 6 22:05:02 PST 2000

From: Dick Filinich <daf at mobiletel.com>

Just to give a follow up of project (new head sail sheave,mast steps
etc.Went for a short sail yesterday afternoon 70 degrees about 10 kts
out of the east and was happy with the results of new main sheave with
all rope halyard.Pulled sail to very top by hand quickly and when I
dropped the sail it came down free fall,this is much better than that
wire halyard winch and ten times faster.Sailing single hand will be that
much easier with this new set up.The only minor trouble I had was with
the halyards getting a belly in them and going behind the fold down
steps,but a little flip of the wrist cleared them.That all white mast
with black spreader and hardware at top with new fold down steps doesn't
look too shabby!It took longer than expected but I wasn't in a hurry to
go sailing in cold weather,the mast was inside what use to be a catfood
plant,and epoxy just won't paint in cold weather.Mardi Gras
tomorrow,seen enough parades think I'm gonna go sailing.Thanks for all
opinions on this project,one exception I wanted to go with bigger main
winch but pad on mast wasn't big enough(diameter)to install without
getting into some major modifications.Someone suggested a #10 winch I
finally installed a brand new #8 harken I bought in new orleans for
$100.After I pulled the sail up by hand,I put four wraps on the winch
and pulled as hard as I could with that big long bronze winch handle,I
tried to break something.Came in without any incident,does this mean the
fun is over with?Ha!Ha!
Dick,

DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!  Get rates as low as
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2120/4/_/476031/_/952408863/