[alberg30] Re:suck-damaged idle jet--rusted exhaust manifold

alberg30 alberg30 at interactive.net
Tue Mar 14 19:16:31 PST 2000

1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..9..10 little fingers. Ok, we're good to go there!!

I knew my run of project successes was too good to be true. The engine is the last of the long list. I think we're close....(wishful thinking.)

While I was able to drill the jet out and re-tap it, the new jet just doesn't seat quite right. I'll be spending the $$ for a new carb I guess.

On another engine matter: the exhaust pipe is horribly rusted at the manifold on #499. I pulled off all the asbestos and got a good look, using a mirror and craming as much of myself behind the engine as possible. I can't see the flange on the manifold, or the bolts and nuts, or anything. Its rusted. Assuming I need to put on a new manifold, how do I take the old one off?

Do I cut the exhaust pipe at the elbow, then unbolt the manifold? If I cut the pipe, does it unscrew from exhaust riser (I think thats what its called)?
Where does the manifold bolt to the engine? Top down only? Or are there bolts on the side?

Thanks:

Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"