[alberg30] Cockpit Coamings

jpgrathwol at aol.com jpgrathwol at aol.com
Mon May 1 14:29:30 PDT 2000

Hello list.

I've been reading the list since December and finally have cause to ask the
group some questions.  As a new A30 owner I've learned a lot just by reading.

I have recently stripped the years of varnish from the cockpit coamings which
I intend to refinish in Cetol or Armada.  What I've found however is that the
underside of the inboard side of each coaming has a gap of 1/4" to 3/8"
between the teak and the deck.  This gap is wider at the stern.  On the
outside there is a 1/4 round piece of trim which covers the gap if it even
exists on the outboard side.  Should this gap be caulked prior to
refinishing?  Should it be left open to allow trapped moisture to dry,
ultimately preventing more rot than caulking which would trap any moisture
that did get past the caulk?  If yes to caulk which caulk?

Second, any thoughts on bleaching teak?  I have read of a procedure using
oxalic acid.  A wooden boat guy at my boatyard used household bleach on his
mast after stripping it bare prior to re-varnishing.  I am looking for the
procedure that works the best and is least likely to result in my gumming it
up.

Thanks in advance.

John Grathwol
A30 #88
Dovekie

Join Garden.com's affiliate program and enjoy numerous benefits.
To learn more click here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/2955/5/_/476031/_/957216578/