[alberg30] OT but probably relevant to most Albegers

Jack Vanderloo jvdloo at sympatico.ca
Sat May 20 17:43:47 PDT 2000

Ahoy All:

Today found two Albergers of the Northern, land-locked variety - up here
in Ottawa - putzing around without a manual, of course, with the
undersigned's 2HP outboard for the dink that accompanies ALDABI on her
longer voyages.  (Georgian Bay again this summer.)

So, while decidedly off-topic, I would hope there is sufficient
expertise and generosity of spirit to assist in what will probably be an
easy problem to resolve.

We tore the carburetor of my 2HP  Suzuki outboard (of unknown vintage)
apart and cleaned and reassembled it - properly, we both concluded!  No
parts missing or broken.

The issue is that while the engine will start with half throttle and
full choke and will then continue to run with the choke open, it will
only do so for a few (10 or so) frenetic seconds before cutting out.

We suspect this is because we have diddled sufficiently long with the
two fine adjustment screws that control air and fuel flows into the
carburetor to now have absolutely no idea of where they should have
been.

The off-topic question of the day, thus:  Is there a standard procedure
for approaching the carburetion of a small outboard vis-a-vis both the
intial settings of those screws and the subsequent manner/sequence of
adjusting them?

Thanks in advance.

Jack Vanderloo
ALDABI KC641