[alberg30] OT but probably relevant to most Albegers

Marianne King-Wilson addvalue at zeuter.com
Sat May 20 20:16:31 PDT 2000

Hi, Jack!
There is a real knack to that tuning.  My Dad, who started out before the
war as a Johnson dealer,  could make an engine sing distinctively all his
life.  I can hear the difference, and sometimes can achieve it.

Those old kickers needed 12:1 air:gas at high speed, 8:1 at low speed.

The important thing about the carburetors was to replace the gaskets and
O-rings, and keep all parts clean.   The low-speed needle-valves were
tightened finger-tight to a light contact against the seat, then backed off
5/8 of a turn.

Is your choke operating correctly?  Is it leaking air?

Sounds as if it's  fuel starved.

Once the engine is running warm, at fast idle,  we'd turn one low-speed
needle until the motor hiccupped, then turn counterclockwise to high, smooth
RPMs.  Then do the same with the other.

Don't know how relevant this will be with a more recent motor, but if it
isn't, someone on this list will have encyclopaedic knowledge of the
subject.

Marianne King-Wilson

http://click.egroups.com/1/4054/8/_/476031/_/958878760/