[alberg30] OT but probably relevant to most Albergers

Jack Vanderloo jvdloo at sympatico.ca
Sun May 21 04:48:35 PDT 2000

Wow, Marianne - thanks a million!  With copy in hand this morning, your response
is going directly into my permanent on-board reference manual.

Thanks again.

Kind regards.

Jack

Marianne King-Wilson wrote:

> Hi, Jack!
> There is a real knack to that tuning.  My Dad, who started out before the
> war as a Johnson dealer,  could make an engine sing distinctively all his
> life.  I can hear the difference, and sometimes can achieve it.
>
> Those old kickers needed 12:1 air:gas at high speed, 8:1 at low speed.
>
> The important thing about the carburetors was to replace the gaskets and
> O-rings, and keep all parts clean.   The low-speed needle-valves were
> tightened finger-tight to a light contact against the seat, then backed off
> 5/8 of a turn.
>
> Is your choke operating correctly?  Is it leaking air?
>
> Sounds as if it's  fuel starved.
>
> Once the engine is running warm, at fast idle,  we'd turn one low-speed
> needle until the motor hiccupped, then turn counterclockwise to high, smooth
> RPMs.  Then do the same with the other.
>
> Don't know how relevant this will be with a more recent motor, but if it
> isn't, someone on this list will have encyclopaedic knowledge of the
> subject.
>
> Marianne King-Wilson
>
> >  :  Is there a standard procedure
> > for approaching the carburetion of a small outboard vis-a-vis both the
> > intial settings of those screws and the subsequent manner/sequence of
> > adjusting them?
> >  .

72% off on Name brand Watches!
Come and buy today and get free shipping!
http://click.egroups.com/1/4011/8/_/476031/_/958909687/