[alberg30] GPSs

sandersm at aol.com sandersm at aol.com
Sat May 13 21:46:57 PDT 2000

While on the subject of GPS:  I have a Garmin 120, never installed, from
1996.  It is the precursor of the 128, and differs in that it has one channel
that tracks 8 birds at a time, rather than the 128's 12 channels that track
12 birds simultaneously.  I called Garmin to ask whether, apart from start-up
time, there would be any significant advantgage to buying a 128.  They said
that the new units would be more accurate by 20-30 feet -- not an issue, for
the extra money.  BUT they also said that the older units were not at all
accurate on speed over ground, when traveling at speeds under 5 mph.

I would be grateful if those of you with older GPS units -- the Garmin 120 or
comparable sets -- could confirm whether their units appear reliable at
reporting speed over ground.  Any other advice is also appreciated.

Sanders McNew
WILD ELF  # 297

72% off on Name brand Watches!
Come and buy today and get free shipping!
http://click.egroups.com/1/4011/8/_/476031/_/958279623/