[alberg30] Mast support beam

Guy Lalonde lalondegc at videotron.ca
Thu May 18 15:22:45 PDT 2000

Peter.

I own #466 and the problem you describe on #478 sounds similar to mine, although not caused by a specific incident. Sounds like you got some moisture in the core around the mast step area. You might want to check on that. Sounds more than likely that this is the cause of your problem.

Another thing you might want to check, although less likely, to see if you have a combination of the above problem and the following one.

In the newer boats (around #400 and above), mast loads are transfered from the deck beam to the bulkhead which then rests on the liner. There may be portions underneath the liner which aren't supported against the hull. With a flashlight, look aft under the v-berth cabin sole. Look to port & starboard of the bilge where the bulkhead rests against the liner. You will likely see there is no support under the liner for about 12 inches on each side of the bilge.

On some boats this lack of support has contributed to the mast going "down south". Also, again looking aft under the v-berth cabin sole, look at the liner just above the bilge (the underside of the door step). You may see balsa core with out any fiberglass on it bilge side( ??? ), doesn't make for a solid composite. Back above the liner, look for any stress cracks or outright cracks on the liner floor on both sides of the bulkhead, especially where unsupported.

To repair, check out the association's "Alberg 30 Maintenance manual" in section A for the mast step area. For liner support problems, check out section C-4, from a 1991 Mainsheet article (the article describes how an A30 's depressed liner almost closed off the water hose beneath it).

Guy