[alberg30] Stern Casting

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Mon May 22 19:31:54 PDT 2000

Guy,

I see no reason why you couldn't tap for a larger size, but you
might want to try chasing out the current threads with a tap,
first.  They might be OK but full of the old set screw threads.

 - George

> Guy Lalonde wrote:
>
> Problem with my stern casting ( I think it's called a stern casting ).
> It's the bronze casting through which the prop shaft comes out of the
> hull. It also houses the cutless bearing. There appears to be a set
> screw on each side to hold the cutless bearing.
>
> Here's the problem: the set screw on one side had no head on it,
> probably corroded away and the head on the other one disintegrated
> when I tried to unscrew it. Drilled them out. Oooops !!! , now what ?
>
> Is it possible to make the holes bigger, then re-thread and use larger
> set screws ?
>
> Or do I need a new stern casting ?  If so does anyone know where I can
> get one ?
>

> Please help.
>
> Thx
>
> Guy

72% off on Name brand Watches!
Come and buy today and get free shipping!
http://click.egroups.com/1/4011/8/_/476031/_/959048838/