[alberg30] Stern Casting

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.umanitoba.ca
Mon May 22 19:23:16 PDT 2000

	Guy, if you drilled the set screws out you will either have to
re-thread the hole or put in some kind of a threaded insert.  In
either case I think you will need to remove the cutless bearing,
& perhaps the prop shaft, or perhaps you could use a flat headed
tap if you can find one and cut new threads down to the rubber
sleeve but no further.  On the other hand if your cutless
bearing hasn't moved
around with one screw in it it probably isn't going anywhere.
I replaced my set screws with stainless steel ones, available in
any good machine shop store. They were a standard size==5/16ths
I think. Don't tighten them too tight as to dimple the cutless
bearing
when you re-install it.
	As far as obtaining a replacement casting it might be
difficult. Perhaps you could contact Crinan Marine, 176 Railway
St. in Kingston Ontario, (613) 542-0850 [www.crinan.on.ca] They
have
located a variety of engine fittings for some of us here in
Manitoba.  All that I could find were stern casting/stern
assemblies available from England at a rather high price, and
there was no guarantee that they would mate up with my 7/8 inch
shaft, etc.

Bob Lincoln
Indigo #590

Guy Lalonde wrote...