[alberg30] Stern Casting

Guy Lalonde lalondegc at videotron.ca
Tue May 23 04:28:49 PDT 2000

This all started because I need to remove the rudder to do some repairs to
it and also to the hull area adjacent to the rudder (in the Fall I had
removed the 7 - 8 old anti-fouling coatings, the hull is as smooth as ...
except in the area of the rudder and prop shaft, cracks and holes). Then
going to Interprotect the hull.

The prop and the shaft need to come out to remove the rudder, the cutless
bearing needs replacing anyhow and had planned some day to replace the
stuffing box with a dripless one which I may as well do now. It's one of
those creeping projects.

Is there any specific order I should follow to remove the shaft, the prop,
the stuffing box, the shaft coupling, the cutless bearing ?  Any suggestions
on how to separate the shaft from the shaft coupling ?

I will try to re-thread the stern casting. Aside from the 2 screws holding
the stern casting to the hull, is there anything else holding it in place
that I may need to remove or disassemble ?

Guy