[alberg30] Try to avoid this

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu May 25 12:58:39 PDT 2000

Dan,
	I had a similar experience between the time I
purchased #590 in Toronto, October 1998 and received it
by truck four months later.  The boat was stored in the
shipper's yard for 3 months, where the anchor hatch may
have been left open to the rain and snow.  When the
boat was finally blocked up in the hanger in Gimli I
opened the hatch to see ice up to the bottom of the
engine crankcase, about 2 inches above the floorboards
all the way to the v-berth.  It took about two weeks at
50 degrees for it to melt.  There was only one area
that cracked, about 3 inches around  one of the locker
cavities where the ice pushed up between the hull and
liner and was trapped.  I suspected the worse and
checked hoses, fittings, bulkheads, etc. but so far
have found no other problems except the usual loose
hose clamps here and there.  The design and
construction must be pretty good to withstand the ice
expansion sideways and upwards.
Bob Lincoln
Indigo #590