[alberg30] Try to avoid this

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu May 25 19:10:20 PDT 2000

George Dinwiddie regretted:

>My boat was in the water this winter.  We had a heavy snow followed
>by a rain.  The snow funneled the rain down the ventilators and
>covered the batteries.  Fortunately the batteries were gelcells
>and weren't damaged, though discharged.  I was lucky this time.
>My only damages were one battery cable eaten by electrolysis and
>some muddy bilge compartments.

Same thing happened to me, George.  Only damage was a corroded positive
terminal cable, too. Interestingly, both batteries were normal wet cells,
one conventional and one sealed, six & five years old, respectively. I've
only been able to get the conventional up to about 50% charge the last year
or so but that's enough to start the old Atomic 4 anyway.  Think I'll break
down and replace it this year!

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181

Remember the good 'ol days