[alberg30] Chlorination of Ship's Fresh Water

Marianne King-Wilson addvalue at zeuter.com
Fri May 26 06:43:37 PDT 2000

My husband, who has a Ph.D. in organic chemistry and works in scientific
affairs related to food safety, says, in true scientific fashion, "it
depends".
Some of the variables would be the condition of the water put into the tank,
the condition of the tank, and the piping to the tap.
The easy part is how you can tell if the water is safe.  It must have
residual chlorine at the tap.  In other words, the chlorine won.
There is a simple test, and I will try to get the name of the apparatus,
which determines in a few moments, the PPM of residual chlorine.
If you have 5 PPM of chlorine at the tap, the water is safe from all
bacteria.
To tailor this to your boat, keep adding chlorine, agitating it, (tacking?)
and then testing until you have a residual.
I'll do some research about the apparatus and get back to you.

Marianne King-Wilson
Windward #369

Jack Vanderloo wrote:

>  what is the conventional wisdom
> regarding the chlorination of ship's water supplies?  How many cups per
> how many gallons?

Remember the good 'ol days
http://click.egroups.com/1/4053/8/_/476031/_/959348682/