[Alberg30] Re: Yanmar 3GM30 F

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Sun Nov 26 12:30:02 PST 2000

  | Visit the incipient Alberg 30 Online Store |
  |      http://www.alberg30.org/store/        |
Holiday Greetings--
    Here's a question about the Yanmar 3GM30F.  I'm looking at a boat with
one of these that is said to have 200 hours on it.  While the engine looks
OK I did notice a few drops of what I think was motor oil hanging off the
bottom of the oil pan.  Is this normal?  If not, what might be the cause?  A
broken seal of some sort?  Could it be fuel, and is so, is this a bad sign?
The engine is said to have been professionally serviced over the last few
years.
    I was attempting to figure the likely year of installation.  Phoning
around with with the model and serial number I had no luck finding the year
the engine was manfd.  My main contact said that that's a moot point anyway,
since engines may sit around for some time before being installed.  It seems
a bit unusual that the owner and the last survey ('94) don't mention an
installation year.  Could this be a rebuilt or something?

    Another thing that strikes me as odd is the lack of a drip pan under the
engine.  Thus, the drips fall down into the bilge.  Is this a legal
arrangement?  Wouldn't most states require a way to catch that junk in order
to keep it from being pumped out into our waterways?

    Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks!  Asking Santa for an Alberg 30........

Randy Katz
Gr. 3
Bertschi School
2227 - 10th Ave E.