[Alberg30] replacing Atomic 4 with diesel

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Sat Nov 18 17:57:49 PST 2000

  | Visit the incipient Alberg 30 Online Store |
  |      http://www.alberg30.org/store/        |
I can.  Don't. ;-)

Actually, I wanted a diesel when I first bought the boat, but I've
changed my mind.  Sure diesel's have some advantages, longer range
on a tank of fuel is the biggest, to my mind.  If you're cruising,
this could be a big one.  The advantage that the fuel is less
explosive is more hype than advantage.  Sure, that's true, but
there are very few cases of sailboats exploding.  The simple
precaution of running the bilge blower and sniffing the output
before starting the engine can make you very safe.

In return for being marginally safer, diesels give you more noise
and smellier exhaust.  They're harder for ham-handed owners like
me to keep running.  If you overfill them with oil, they can
"run away" and be at least as dangerous as a gas engine.

They do have the advantage of still being in production.  The
atomic 4 is pretty well supported by a mailing list hosted on
sailnet, however.  Most parts are available (though you have to
rely on a used block, if you need one).

So, that's my take on it.  I'm sticking with the Atomic 4 and
have a spare in the basement that I should be rebuilding instead
of dinking around on the computer.  I'll note, however, that a
number of Albergers have replaced this venerable engine with
diesels and most are quite happy with the choice.  I'm hoping
this message will stimulate them to chime in.

BTW, do you have a "new" or "old" Alberg?  The molded liner in
the newer boats makes the installation of deep-oil-pan engines
like the Yanmar more difficult.

 - George