[Alberg30] Re: Public-list digest, Vol 1 #37 - 2 msgs

Gord Laco gord at transatmarine.com
Mon Nov 27 13:33:31 PST 2000

  | Visit the incipient Alberg 30 Online Store |
  |      http://www.alberg30.org/store/        |
Hello Randy,

Your standing rigging should last much longer than 30 years.  (I am in the
rigging business, and I wish I could have people changing as often as every
10 years; but realy, there is no need)

If you are concerned about the condition of your rig,  here's the check
list.  first, if there are any broken strands, or any sharp bends, you
should replace.  Second, if there are any cracks in any swages, replace.  If
any of your swages are badly done (bent) replace.  If you have any D
shackles in your standing rigging, replace them with toggles.  It is
possible to chemically inspect your swages for otherwise invisible hairline
cracks, and this is one thing I would do periodically, say every 10-15
years.

I too have heard about the Alberg chainplate recomendation - I have not done
mine yet but will.  I have to say that I am not all that impressed with the
glassed in fillets the plates bolt to...

Cheers, Gord KC 426