[Alberg30] Alcohol Stove

Peter Amos P.A.Amos at tesco.net
Sun Oct 1 04:16:10 PDT 2000

John,with my departed Kenyon alcohol stove the procedure was:pump up the pressure, open the fuel valve so that some fuel runs into the bowl, close the valve.Light the fuel in the bowl and allow it to burn out. As soon as the flame has died (not before} open the valve again and light the burner.I found it best to hold a light to the burner, using one of the gas lighters with a long stem,as the valve was being opened so that surplus fuel did not get a chance to run into the hot bowl,and flare up. The other cause of flare up was putting too much fuel in the bowl for the burner preheat stage.Even on the rare occasions when the Kenyon worked properly it was never very good. Last thing I did when I laid Tait Tait up for the summer was scrap the stove.In December I am going to buy from Wal Mart a two burner propane,a Coleman or something similar that can be converted to accept the big propane tanks.Nigel Calder's book on Boat Mechanical and Electrical Maintenance(cant remember the exact title) has a good section on this subject.
Peter Amos Tait Tait #478