[Alberg30] Alcohol Stove

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Mon Oct 2 05:52:01 PDT 2000

  | Wow! Save big bucks through October 31 at Sailnet's online store. |
  | Go to http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066   |
  | and use the e-coupon code APMK18                                  |

For what it's worth, a friend of mine in the marine insurance
business says that most boat fires are caused by alcohol stoves.
If you continue to use pressurized alcohol (and we did, until
a puddle of water left in the stove over the winter did it in),
remember that water will spread the flame but a wet towel can
smother it.

If you're going to use any stove with an external tank, be sure
you follow all the safety rules.  The reason that propane stoves
are safer on boats than pressurized alcohol is not that the
fuel is safer, it's that the installations are better.  The
propane needs to be stored in a compartment that vents overboard.
I would not recommend a Coleman two-burner as the pipe that connects
the bottle is a real weak spot.

Our primary stove is now a single-burner butane stove.  I haven't
seen that option mentioned in this discussion, but these stoves
have become rather popular among the Chesapeake Bay A30's.  They
are compact units with an enclosed space for a butane cartridge.
These are made by a number of manufacturers, but you can see the
Kenyon unit at http://www.kenyonmarine.com/express.htm  The gas
cartridges are expensive at boat stores, but only $2 - $3 at a
Chinese grocery.  The stoves run around $50 - $60.

Underway, we use an adaptation of an old Forespar mini-galley
stove.  This stove used the old GAZ butane cartridges which were
pierced by the stove and could not be removed until empty.  I
replaced that burner with a propane burner.  Forespar has redesigned
their stove with a similar burner.  You can see it online at
http://www.forespar.com/catalog/galley/galley.htm  The stoves
are a bit more pricey, but you might be able to find them cheaper than
the listed retail price.

Anyway, think safety with stoves.  Saving a few bucks could be
the most expensive thing you ever did.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.                         NEW URL => http://www.Alberg30.org/