[Alberg30] Small Engines

Forhan, Thomas Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov
Sun Oct 29 17:04:18 PST 2000

  | This is it!  Monday October 31 is the last day. Quick, right now! |
  | Go to http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066   |
  | and use the e-coupon code APMK18 for your discount.               |
I think you raise a great point. I cruised a 7500 pound boat full time for
four eyars, including up and down the ICW six times, and never felt my 10hp
Volvo diesel was inadequate...and that was with a fixed two blade prop.

While we think of the Atomic 4 as a 30 hp engine, at 2000 rpm its only
producing 16 hp, and on my boat starting to dig itself into a hole. I think
the boat is overpowered.

In the old days, a naval architect would figure 1hp for every 1000 pounds of
displacement for an auxiliary, and I think that is minimal, but still close
to right.

If I were repowering to diesel, I'd think very hard about the Beta (Kubota)
BZ482, with a maxiprop to make sure as much as the power gets into the water
as possible. This engine is the smallest of the three replacement engines
Beta markets with the narrow engine mounts like the Atomic 4.

Don't forget, diesel engines like to work at about 80% of capacity, and if
you put a largish engine in and do not use it enough of it, longevity and
reliability  will suffer. They suffer even worse at the high idle often used
for hotel load while charging/refrigerating at anchor.

If you added a clutched refrigeration system and large alternator to a small
engine, you could put a decent load on the engine while charging things up
at anchor. Then of course you could use the weight and space savings for
extra fuel tankage, and with miniscule fuel consumption you would have an
excellent setup for long term cruising.

http://www.betamarinenc.com/bz482_atomic.htm
<http://www.betamarinenc.com/bz482_atomic.htm>

Tom Forhan