[alberg30] Mast track

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 18 11:44:52 PDT 2000

Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9146/10/_/476031/_/969291788/

At 12:55 AM 17-09-00 +0000, PIERAT at msn.com wrote:

>Had the mainsail 'jam' in the full hoist position recently. Had to go
>up the mast, (my friends' first time sailing at the winch). The
>problem was that the external track is two pieces butted together.
>the butt joint is, unfortunately, 25' aloft! It is not well
>engineered nor is it 'smart'. Went up again to file edges as well as
>the track slides untill I can better secure the track 'splice' with
>a 'doubler'. PJC #264

I had a similar problem last year,except that the upper couple of hanks
would pop put of the track instead of fully jamming - a much preferable
disability.  It turned out to be a couple of  loose pop rivets near the
splice. Thanks to a couple of new rivets and Peter Terry's mast climbing
agility it was fixed with no further problem.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181