[alberg30] RE: Racing w/ high-cut jib

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Sep 19 08:51:32 PDT 2000

Install today:
http://click.egroups.com/1/6347/10/_/476031/_/969378695/

Gord,
	Had some interesting times racing around the buoys and
long-distance this summer.  On Indigo  #590 have roller
furling.  Found the working jib, which has a very
high-cut foot to be almost as good as the large no. 1.
It kept the boat heeled to the indented stripe line
below the rail, where the no. 1 and 2 would typically
have the rail in the water.  This is in wind 10-20
knots.  The jib was far more comfortable to sail and
visibility excellent.  The no.1 was best with light
wind, 2 kts.  On a 49 mile race in very poor weather,
about 25 knots SW beating S, covered the distance in 6
hrs. 20 min. alone, with the working jib and 2 reefs in
the main.  I had started out without reefs, but along
the way put in 2.  The main also has a 'mini-reef' (I
don't know what to call it) that is about six inches up
the leading edge and hooking this down seems to make
the ordinary sailing better, it takes some of the bag
out of the foot.  Perhaps the power comes from the main
rather than anything else.
	Could outpoint C&C & Catalina 27s, in buoy racing,
keep up with a Beneteau 28, but could not match the
speed of C&C 29, Abbott 33 or Tartan 32 in stronger
wind.  The main beam sank a bit to the door top, but
this may have been due to having the rigging a bit
tight this year.  There was only a bit of sag in the
lee shrouds that I could see in the gusts.
Bob Lincoln
Indigo #590