[Alberg30] RE: Cringles, Cunninghams, Outhauls

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.UManitoba.CA
Wed Sep 20 07:49:41 PDT 2000

  [Advertisement: The Olympics are running and the sailing coverage is online:
   http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860&siteid=32743498&bfpage=olympics]

Gord, George, Chester, Jan,

Thanks for the corrections.  I found several aspects of
the main/boom/mast  hardware difficult to use when
reefing.  Looping the cunningham cringle on the reefing
hook on the boom was an impromptu solution.  It also
solved the problem of the luff line, since tying it to
the mast raised problems when tacking.  I tied the luff
line to the reefing hook on the boom.    At the outhaul
end there is a block, and below it is a cam cleat.  The
best I could think of was to run a line from the tack
to the block and then cleat it in order to tighten the
foot of the mainsail.  The boom vang only flattens the
sail a bit because the boom is so rigid, and the angle
from the mast step is not efficient.  I would probably
benefit from a diagram or description of the usual
practice for attaching the mainsail tack to the end of
the boom here.  The block on Indigo is not used for the
topping lift, so I assumed it was for the tack.
It would be interesting to know the dimensions of the
sail Gord is building.

Bob Lincoln
Indigo #590