[Alberg30] Re: Ballast/displacement/mast support

perry fizzano perry at fizzano.net
Fri Apr 20 12:18:09 PDT 2001

I should always be careful when I say "I know" as in
"I know the ballast changed to lead"!! ;)

I guess what I knew was that the displacement increased, I just
assumed that it was because they switched from iron to lead. One of
the reasons I'm curious is that this 1964 boat I looked at was
listed as 10000 lbs displacement - that confused me since I
thought the 1964 boats were 8500 lbs.  But maybe that number
came from an actual weighing with the engine, water, fuel,
etc. included.  I am following up with the owner but I doubt he'll
know.

Thanks for the tips on checking the mast support Mike, I tried to
eye it and check carefully for dimples and soft spots on the deck
near the mast but nothing was evident.  But what do you mean about
checking if the tape is broken or loose on the top of the beam
and the top of the door?

thanks,

perry

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |