[Alberg30] Re: Ballast/displacement/mast support

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Fri Apr 20 12:23:57 PDT 2001

Perry,

The calculated figure should include all components, engine, etc,
but not the fuel, food, etc.  I wouldn't worry too much about
the figure.  The fiberglass certainly picks up water, too,
and makes the boat heavier.  I've heard of one boat that was
weighed (at 1100 lbs, if memory serves) by a crane operator hauling
it.  The new owner told him his scale was wrong, because he had
a piece of paper saying it was 9000 lbs.

The one-design rules state that hulls prior to #27 were
underweight and may have 460 lbs of permanent ballast added
without disqualification.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |