[Alberg30] Mainsheet Traveler

Chester and Jan Koop cjk at tir.com
Sun Apr 22 10:24:32 PDT 2001

The original traveler installed on my A30 (built in 1970) was mounted on the stern deck at the end of the cockpit just ahead of the lazarette.  It was a fairly typical arrangement for the day.  It consisted of a 1" x 45" SS track (mounted on a strip of composite material to create a "T" track effect), two plunger stops and a sliding eye for the mainsheet block.  Depending upon wind conditions, the mainsheet could be slid up or downwind on the track and held in place by the adjustable stops.  It work fairly well in light to moderate winds.  However in a blow, the pressure on the traveler slide made it impossible to move unless one headed up into the wind or released the pressure on the main in some other fashion.

In 1989, I replaced this traveler with a Harken system.  With a 3 to 1 pulley arrangement and a ball bearing cart, adjusting the traveler in any kind of weather is a simple one handed operation.  At the time I think the entire system cost around $350.00 (track, end stops, two turning blocks, two cheek blocks, line and the traveler cart).

Chet Koop
Tanagaroa 445