[Alberg30] a couple of Qs.

FINKENBERG, Lincoln LFINKENBERG at EMMETMARVIN.COM
Mon Apr 30 09:29:41 PDT 2001

Maybe it was already circulated and I did not get it, I'd really like to see
those #s.

Recently I had the plate that covers the transmission off and when I
"resealed" it, with make a gasket, oil leaked from it.  Is there a ready
made gaskets for this?  the engine is a grey marine.

Any tricks to "erasing the memory" from rope that's been through a block and
tackle system, i.e.., it twists/curls up every couple feet -- or from
preventing it from curling/twisting in the first place.  I've twisted it the
opposite way while coiling it and plopped it in the water.  Maybe dragging
it behind the boat while under sail?

I noticed that the current jib pulley is bolted to the mast about 3 or 4
inches from the top (this is a guess from someone who hates heights), the
bottom of the pulley hangs about a third down the top of the mast pulley.  I
saw an unused pulley at the very top of the mast and extended forward so
that it hangs freely with about an 1" or 1 1/2" between it and the mast --
presumably where the original jib pulley was used.  I think after testing
its strength I should go back to what appears to be the original location or
am I missing something?

By the way the discussion regarding the pulley for the main halyard was
quite helpful and quite timely -- because the wire halyard was shot I
replaced it with rope -- and it works wonderfully.  My guess is that there
is even a smaller likelihood of the halyard jumping the pulley now that it
is all rope.

thanks
Inc (now of Oyster Bay)
Gypsy #138