[Alberg30] Halyards / Sheets

R.C. Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Fri Apr 13 07:53:11 PDT 2001

It all depends.  If your H are in "as delivered" configuration, then you can
take double the height of the mast, plus whatever you think you will like
for a tail--say 10 feet--as your total length.  To be on the safe side, I
would attach a tape measure to your shackle for each H and run it up the
mast, double that, etc--there are minor differences in height of masts.

If your H are not in" as delivered" configuration, take a ball of string and
tie it to the H shckle, etc.--you get the point.

As to changing wire for rope, there are interminable arguments for both--but
bear in mind that the boat was delivered with wire, (it was the low stretch,
low windage alternative at the time) and changing to rope means changing out
sheaves.  I chose to make my own wire H up when the time came for a change,
using (I think) 7/16 line for the main--the largest that I could still
reasonably splice to the wire.  (The larger the line, the easier is is on
your hands, all other things being equal.  I do not race the boat, and am
not concerned about the last millimeter of stretch) The Genoa H is slightly
smaller in size--say 3/8--but is used only for a profurl, and only gets
tightened or loosened by an inch or two all year.

The length of S depends on your method of sheet attachment and the size of
jibs/Genoas.  I chose to use a (I think)3/8 or 7/16 braided, softer line on
my genoa, double the length needed and tied to the cringle in the middle.
This was the result of 1.) hand fatigue on long trips related to tacking
when using a "harder" line, and 2.) getting smacked in the head by a sheet
shackle on a flogging sail more than once.  For length, I would make each
side not less than one boat length--sometimes you will need a long tail--to
start. You can always trim to suit yourself.  You may want longer.

Hope this helps--and you might want to solicit other opinions before you
spend money or cut line.  There are some very experienced people in this
group who use their boats very differently than I use mine.

Spinnakers are beyond my ken.

Rob Alley