[Alberg30] A30 Questions?

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Mon Apr 23 07:27:57 PDT 2001

Doug,

That's a different number, the Hull Identification Numbers (HIN)
required by US law on all boats manufactured since 10/31/72.
You can apparently call the Coast Guard's InfoLine, (800) 368-5647
and ask for Fact Sheet 14 "Consumer's Guide to Boating Safety Standards"
for more details.

BTW, that should be ZWB now ZW8, indicating Whitby Boat Works.
http://www.uscgboating.org/mf/mf_micdd.asp?currRec=ZWB,13715

See also: http://hometown.aol.com/spinners/33CFR_HINs.html

  (a) The first three characters must be a manufacturer identification
  code assigned under Sec. 181.31(a) or the importer designation
  assigned under Sec. 181.31(b).

  (b) Characters four through eight must be a serial number assigned
  by the manufacturer in letters of the English alphabet, or Arabic
  numerals, or both, except the letters I, O, and Q.

  (c) Characters nine and ten must indicate the month and year of
  certification when a date of certification is required. In all
  other cases characters nine and ten must indicate the date of
  manufacture. The date indicated can be no earlier than the date
  construction or assembly began and no later than the date the
  boat leaves the place of manufacture or assembly or is imported
  into the United States for the purposes of sale. Character nine
  must be indicated using letters of the English alphabet. The
  first month of the year, January, must be designated by the letter
  ``A'', the second month, February, by the letter ``B'', and so
  on until the last month of the year, December. Character ten must
  be the last digit of the year of manufacture or certification
  and must be an Arabic numeral.

  (d) Characters eleven and twelve must indicate the model year
  using Arabic numerals for the last two numbers of the model year
  such as ``82'' for 1982 and ``83'' for 1983.

So, I'd say you have hull number 606 built in May 1976, and the
proper number for your builder's plate would be 3076606.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |