[Alberg30] Engine Controls

OurYawl at aol.com OurYawl at aol.com
Mon Apr 23 11:25:06 PDT 2001

Greg and Gord,

I must admit that I wrestled with moving the gauges and switches aft as well.  The decision was made to leave the gauges where the are and move the switches to the compass box for two reasons.  First, I was moving the power distribution panel to the area around the compass box and over the engine in order to minimize the rats nest and shorten the complicated runs.  When I made that decision, then placing running light switch, blower switch, starter and ignition in the compass box became really appealling .  The runs were very short and direct, just a few inches.  The battery cables  were also able to be shortened.  The second reason not to move the gauges was that the amp meter is, course, in series with the alternator output on the way to the batteries.  Pushing the gauge back to stern would add significant length to the high amp cable run.

However, hearing your idea has given me something to think about from this aspect, I could leave the amp meter in the new panel in the compass box (where I was putting the fuel gauge) and then move all the other meters including the new fuel gauge back to the end of the cockpit.  If it appears that I am still fighting folks for the right to see the gauges, I may do that.  Thanks.

BTW, the whole job is now about 70% complete.  Hopefully it willl be done next weekend.  If you want some pix, I can take some.

Jim
Chanson sur Mer  (#280)
 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |