[Alberg30] mast compression

cbcurrier at spinrx.com cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Sun Aug 19 23:43:53 PDT 2001

Actually Ian, what you have is a rotten deck core. There is a period
of dime during which whitby cored all of their decks with balsa.  This balsa
over time has deterioriated and as with you mast you actually see a bit of a
divot or dent where it sits.  I bet if you wals around on the deck another
person can see it move under you. This suggests you need to recore the deck.
A discussion that has been going on around here a bit lately.

You do not need to worry about that mast beam ... it is likely in great shape.
your problem is from the top down.  In particular one solution has been to
build up a thick layer of epoxy under the mast step to replace the rotten or
nonexistant balsa. This is probably better explained by those that have done
it.  I am working on it. Good luck.

C.B. Currier
Infinity #57
Daybreak #458

--- "Ian MacIntosh"  <jsirm20 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I have a sagging deck where the mast is stepped. I have a steel frame

> which has been installed under the beam that is glassed under the deck. the

> frame is 2 feet wide and rests on a wooden beam that is wedged in the hull
> at the level of the cabin sole. I think I can shim the deck up using the
> existing frame, but I am concerned about where the weight is being
> transfered to. Should the steel frame transfer teh weight to the keel? I
> would appreciate any ideas, thanks
> Ian

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |