[Alberg30] balsa vs. masonite

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Mon Aug 20 13:18:44 PDT 2001

John,

I don't know why Whitby switched, but balsa is lighter than masonite.
The problem with balsa is if it gets wet, it rots.  Whitby ran the
balsa out to the edges of the deck and didn't seal bolt holes drilled
through it.  Everything's copacetic until the caulk fails and then water
gets into the core.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |