[Alberg30] Electronic Ignition

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 21 06:20:28 PDT 2001

A few years ago, I was feeling guilty for having mistreated my Atomic 4 and
changed the oil with Castrol Syntec. Castrol was recommended to me by a VW
mechanic for my 1971 VW Convertible because it was burning oil and when I
made the switch to Castrol the problem disappeared. There is a significant
difference between the engines since one is water-cooled and the other is
air-cooled, but I thought why not give Castrol a try in the A4. The most
amazing thing happened...I picked up 400 RPMs and the engine no longer made
the familiar valve tapping noise I had become so accustomed to after 20
years of use. I am not advocating using Castrol Syntec and am not really
sure if is right for the A4, but just relating a personal experience. I know
that you should not mix regular oil and synthetic oil. And to date, have
never, ever, figured out why my VW burns oil if I use anything other than
Castrol...it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Mike Lehman
"Gilleleje" #505
(410) 544-9067