[Alberg30] Alberg 30 Sail No. 335

T. Kevin Blanc tkevinblanc at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 09:31:50 PDT 2001

If it has an Atomic 4, the original prop was most
likely a 2 blade 13x7. The shaft is 7/8". There is a
keyway, but any machine shop will be able to help you
with that - it'll probably be dictated by the prop you
buy. Some folks do away with the keyway if you
carefully fit the prop and shaft.

You might want to do some research on the most
appropriate prop. A three blader (different size and
pitch) might be better if you don't care about the
extra drag.

--- Mike McLaughlin <mikie at admin.umass.edu> wrote:
> 1968 Alberg 30 Sail # 335
> Currently owned by Mike McCarthy, berthed Marina Bay
> Quincy, Ma.
> This one has a rigid vang, hydraulic backstay and
> whisker pole.  This bright red hull came to Mike w/
> light air and medium spinnakers, a Mylar 150, a
> roller furling 130 and a storm jib.  It is fitted w/
> a Universal Motor Model 18, 2 cyl diesel.  I'm
> writing for him as he has no internet access but did
> find a copy of the 1982 Chesapeake Bay Alberg 30 One
> Design Association, Inc. Handbook.
>
> Mike just caught the poorly stowed furl line in the
> prop and subsequently lost the prop!
> Prior to the resulting haulout I'm trying to help
> determine the prop size as well as any relevant
> keyways or nut schemes required.  Tried Vosbury
> Marine but phone is disconnected!
>     Any guidance or info greatly appreciated, TIA
>             Mike McLaughlin

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |