[Alberg30] Alberg 30 Sail No. 335

R.C. Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Wed Aug 22 17:35:14 PDT 2001

I (and several others) have the M-18 engine, which is actually a Kubota tractor engine--if you buy parts for the engine itself, buy them from your local Kubota distributor, not Westerbeke--and save some $$$.

The prop on mine is a (from memory, so seek verification) an 8X13. The shaft size is definately 7/8 inch.  Prop keyway is (seek verification) 1/4 inch.  Trans keyway is the same.

>From sad experience, be careful to check your transmission and your shaft coupling while you have the boat out.  I found that my clutches (in the transmission) were about 60% used up, and a rebuild was in order.  The coupling had, as a result of my tangling with a crab pot a few years ago, developed an alarming propensity to eat shaft keys, which caused---you get the point.  Having to pull your engine (again) to dismount the transmission for a rebuild is neither fun nor interesting, when you have already done it enough times to be good at it.  I ended up replacing every thing aft of the rebuilt trans, including the cutlass bearing and the rubber shaft log, and realigning the engine on new mounts.  Pay particular attention to the rear engine mounts; the port one takes all the load of an unfortunate event such as yours, and may have been stressed to the point of failure or becoming mis-aligned.

Best,
Rob Alley