[Alberg30] Swinging at anchor

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.UManitoba.CA
Mon Aug 27 13:40:00 PDT 2001

I would like to hear of ways to minimize swinging to one anchor
(non-tidal streams).  I often singlehand and have found putting out
a second anchor astern to be too much retrieval work, and usually
there is not enough room among the other boats to put a second
anchor out front.  I had some success with different rudder
positions.  Has anyone used a temporary stern sail arrangement--I
seem to recall a triangle-shaped sail hung off the boom/backstay and
to the stern cleats has worked.  Of course I could try to only
anchor where there's no wind, but that usually means close to shore,
and line to a tree or rock.  It would make my naps longer.
Bob Lincoln
Indigo #590