[Alberg30] Re: gudgeon(s)

John Birch Sunstone at idirect.com
Wed Dec 19 07:45:28 PST 2001

Yes, I had the same problem with our A-37 which uses an identical
arrangement - we had play in the pin on the shoe and at the intermediate
clamp so I used 1/32 mechanical Teflon sheeting to make up the difference -
it has worked perfectly and made the helm even more sensitive & that is with
a wheel.

That was 4 years ago and the play has not yet returned.

The bolts were all showing extreme erosion where they were exposed to water
at the open part of the clamp. I replaced them with silicon bronze bolts.

In saltier climes, as the CB boats are exposed to, I would inspect them at
each haulout. Here on the Great Lakes I would check them maybe every 5
years.

Cheers,

John