[Alberg30] Marine Alternator search

R.C. Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Mon Feb 5 18:33:52 PST 2001

More or less, you have the following choices:
1. Call westerbeke.

2. Pull your alternator off and take it to an alternator shop. They can tell you whether it is a P or N type, and repair if necessary. They can also identify the purpose of unmarked wires.
3. Alternatively, you need to beg, borrow, or steal a copy of the 12 Volt Doctor's Alternator Book by Edgar Beyn.

4. Beg, borrow, or steal a copy of Nigel Calder's book on marine electrical systems.

You will find that the alternators on diesels are standard automotive equipment. Any automotive alternator (most have an output of 40-55 Amps) that has the same attachment foot as your westerbeke bracket will do.  Including the higher output ones used on trucks and school busses.

I have a copy of both Beyn and Calder. If all else fails, you might want to send me a detailed drawing; I may be able to identify your alternator.

Best,
Rob Alley