[Alberg30] Marine Alternator search

R.C. Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Tue Feb 6 17:12:47 PST 2001

In the best of all worlds, perhaps all alternators on marine engines,
regardless of fuel, would be shielded. I think that you will find that most
marine diesel engines are furnished with plain, common, garden variety
automotive alternators. They are, after all, but jumped-up tractor
engines....

I would submit to you that shielding is only significant if you use:
1. Propane as a fuel source for some purpose
2. Kerosene (Peraffin in the UK) as a fuel source for some purpose.
3. Gasoline (Petrol in the UK) as a fuel source for some purpose.

If I were to have any of these sources of fuel on the boat, I would install
a sniffer and the biggest damned bilge blower that could be fitted. I am
unable to say if the fans commonly sold for bilge blowers have shielded
motors; I presume that they do. I find that my blower motor, now mounted
with its intake above the engine, is more useful for exhausting excess heat
from the engine room (thereby reducing ice consumption, and cooling the
cabin) than for any other purpose.
Best,
Rob Alley