[Alberg30] teak on stern

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Wed Feb 7 17:29:31 PST 2001

Lorelei23 at aol.com wrote:

> Dear Bill.
>
> The piece of teak I have is shaped like a milled piece of lumber.
>  It's 2" x
> 16".  The former owner gave me the wood as he was planning to replace
> the
> stern piece himself; he just never got around to it.  He actually had
> cardboard pattern tacked to the wood, but the guy who is refinishing
> all my
> deck wood is hestitant to have it cut by that pattern  because it has
> many
> odd markings on it, i.e. up arrows, down arrows, etc.  We don't want
> to cut
> the wood and find that it doesn't fit.
>
> Some of the other information I have received from other owners
> includes:
>
> Dwalker at cemcocpa.com (Dan Walker) :  the stern piece is actually three
>
> layers, one on top of the other mitered and fit together.  I  saw a
> "younger"
> boat and its stern piece had spacers between the deck and the top
> piece which
> was cheaper and allowed for water drainage off the stern.  This would
> be
> cheaper but not as nice to look at.
>
> I have no idea that this will be helpful information, but it's all I
> have.
> Any thoughts you might have on replacement would be appreciated.  I
> wish I
> had the old teak the former owner took off the boat so I would not be
> at such
> a disadvantage in replacing it.
>
> Sincerely,    Lorelei
Sounds like you need to get a pro,even a cabinet maker or someone who
can do some woodworking.Besides the cost of wood that you miscut,it
needs to look good.If I were in your area I'd do it for you but I'm in
La.And we have a funny saying about carpentry,"I cut it twice and its
still to short".Get some help!!!Short joke about carpentry.Boy goes to
the lumber yard and ask for a 2x4and the man ask how long does your
daddy need that 2x4,the boy says I don't know I'll have to ask him.The
returns later and the man at the yard ask the boy,well how long does
your daddy need that 2x4,the boy replies,a long time he's gonna build a
house with it!!!!!!!!!     Dick #191 High Spirits soon to be changed
 |            The BT Global Challenge -- match racing in the Southern Ocean                |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860&siteid=32743498&bfpage=bt_challenge |