[Alberg30] Onboard Electronic Charting

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 2 09:55:24 PST 2001

At 04:36 PM 1/29/01 -0500, Brian and Elaine Timmins wrote:
>Has anyone set up an onboard Charting Program that you actually use while
>sailing?
>I'm talking about the type that runs on a computer and displays charts and
>your boat location (from GPS input) in real time. The type where the
>charts resemble actual paper charts.
>If so, how and where do you have the computer mounted? Can you work the
>program from the cockpit or do you have to go below to work or even see
>it?[...]

Sure. There are several programs from free tp expensive. For free, see:

    http://www.sping.com/seaclear/

In addition, the ham radio people have several, and you can use one of
those as a non-ham if you're not going to transmit you position. There are
versions for Windows, DOS (crude maps but tiny - which I use) , & Mac.  A
good one couples with Street Atlas maps.   See:

    Http://tapr.org/

Of course Garmin & Magellan sell their own very nice marine chart oriented
software at a fairly reasonable price. See their web pages.

I just remembered a site which does a good job of referencing these
programs and more:

    http://joe.mehaffey.com/

So plotting your position on a moving map is a piece of cake; but the
downside is that it's inconvenient without a dedicated and expensive gps
chart plotter. A color laptop is lousy in the sun and it does not belong
anywhere around spray: i.e. in the cockpit. They do work wonderfully on a
well secured laptop donwn below.  For myself I am a minimalist. I use APRS
Dos on an old handheld HP computer that I can keep in the compass recess
and glance at every once in a while. I sue it primarily to broadcast my
position course & speed in real time to the ham world and Janet back at
home (who never remembers to look at it.)

Fortunately, I only need one digit to broadcast my speed.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181