[Alberg30] live aboard

John R. Willis gusano at radix.net
Mon Feb 19 15:07:25 PST 2001

Joe & Debi,

I've been living aboard my Alberg since last May - and have loved every
minute of it (ok, scrambling up onto a frozen pier during really low tide
wasn't exactly a good way to start a workday - but otherwise, it's been
great).

You will probably get better input from others who have done a bit of
cruising.  Although I'm planning on taking a 4 month sabatical this
summer, so far I've been tied to a shore job and the way I live aboard
reflects those shore-side connections.

For example, I'm tied to the slip for at least 5 days out of each week and
therefore make abundant use of the marina's facilities - showers, laundry,
even the head (short walk away, and I hate pumping out).  I'll have to
figure out ways around some of these for this summer - cockpit shower for
instance (never really thought about installing a below-deck shower).

The only thing I can really say I did because I *was* living aboard, was
to insulate the hull for the winter (and add more book shelf space).
Jubilant already had a Force-10 bulkhead heater when I moved aboard, so I
only had to add a small ceramic heater to keep things cozy.  Every thing
else I've done would have been necessary upgrades to a 30 year old boat
anyway.

Visitor wise, I've had a some *really* good friends stay with me a few
times.  It was fine for a couple of days, but I would really have had to
think twice if any of them wanted to move in.

All told, I'm really happy aboard my Alberg.  Feel free to write me off
list if you like.

--John
jrw at radix.net

> Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:19:52 EST
> From: Hijoe5 at aol.com
> To: public-list at alberg30.org
> Subject: [Alberg30] live aboard
>

> Hi we're new to the thread and were wondering if any of you Alberg 30
> owners
> are living aboard. We hope to retire in Sept. and are considering an
> Alberg
> 30 to live aboard and cruise the East coast and possibly venture further.
> Also has anyone rigged a shower onboard and have you ever had friends
> visit
> for a week, how did that work out? We appreciate any info at all.
>

> Joe & Debi
> Presently Boatless

 John R. Willis                            "Wherever you go...
 jrw at Radix.Net                              There you are!"

 | 2 boats left behind after a collision, the rest of the fleet sails toward Sydney.  |
 |     http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860=32743498=bt_challenge      |