[Alberg30] Roller Furling and Props

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Fri Feb 23 02:51:42 PST 2001

Kevin,
      I really like the products I've gotten from Indigo to upgrade the A4.
Tom Stevens is a nice guy also. I met him at a Moyer A4 training seminar in
Harrisburg several years ago, where he first introduced his prop (still
under design at the time). I almost decided to try his prop when I changed
mine, but the CD salesman I dealt with at the boat show convinced me his
prop would work just fine. (Oddly, that sales guy left CD and now works for
one of those folding / self feathering prop companies) Initially, it
appeared that the CD prop really was "All That" and in fact, I sent CD a
testimonial re how much I liked their prop. That might have been motivated
by their offer to send a prop puller to anyone who sent them an opinion
after installing their prop. I began to suspect something after I received
the "Puller". It's an aluminum ~ 1"x2"x1/2" block with 3 holes and 2 screws.
(probably <$5.00 to make)
       I'm still curious about the Indigo prop. My biggest thought problem
with it is the 10" diameter behind our medium / large deadwood. After you
install it and get a chance to evaluate it, please start up a new subject
thread and post your impressions. I'm most curious about it's ability to
pull our boats in reverse where it's thrust will run into the deadwood
immediately. I'm sure Tom Stevens designed it to push his boat and let the
A4 rev up to where it should. The only problem is that Tom has a Tartan 34
(or 30?) which is one of those fin keel boats with 0 deadwood. Three blade
props are generally thought to be better in reverse than two bladed props. I
keep my boat in a slip (bow in) not on a mooring so every time I go out, I
have to start out in reverse. Of course, the prevailing wind is on my port
quarter to dead astern. Figures doesn't it?
Regards,      Brian      Free Spirit      #497