[Alberg30] Roller Furling and Props

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 23 04:31:17 PST 2001

One alternative to roller furling is to lead the Jib/Genoa halyard to the cockpit. If done properly, you can easily raise and lower your headsail and sail the boat single-handed. The advantage is that you do not sacrifice sail shape. When the weather forecasts were for building wind conditions, we would start the day with the #2 and, as the wind built, we would reef the main. The A30 sails terrific with a #2 and a reefed main. The disadvantage is, of course, you have to go to the bow for headsail changes. To lower the sail put the boat head-to-wind, as the headsail begins to backwind, let the halyard go, the headsail falls neatly on the foredeck. This takes some practice in different conditions, but it is a very effective way to manage the headsail. This was so effective, that I hesitated for many years to consider roller furling.

Mike Lehman
840 Mill Creek Road
Arnold, MD 21012
(410) 544-9067 (Home)