[Alberg30] Downhaul

John Shell Kim.Chatfield at ev1.net
Fri Feb 23 12:08:24 PST 2001

I agree with Mike about roller furlers.  I've had problems with them in the
past and I've rigged a great way to douse the headsail from the cockpit and
keep it from blowing over the side.

A small block at the stemfitting and a lizzard at the mitre seam, then a
light line from the clew to the lizzard to the block then to the cockpit.
To douse the sail, round up, throw off the halyard, tug the downhaul and
snug it up when it hits the deck and it bundles itself up neatly.  It's
great for docking because it depowers the boat (if you've already doused the
main) and gets the sail out of the way.

John Shell
Sorceress

 | Tightly-packed fleet bears down on Sydney.  Only a mile between the two leaders. |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860=32743498=bt_challenge        |