[Alberg30] Lizzard

Tom Sutherland sutherlandt at prodigy.net
Sun Feb 25 07:43:58 PST 2001

In light of the recent thread I am sharing what my "Encyclopedia Of Wood" has to say
about "Lignum Vitae":

Botanical Name: Guaiacum officinale Lignum vitae or "wood of life" received its name for
the supposedly curative qualities of its resin. This species, which is extremely
slow-growing, produces one of the world's heaviest commercial timbers, and is virtually
self-lubricating due to it's high resin content. This makes it ideal for it's principle
use, as bearings and bushings blocks for ship propellor shafts for which there is
presently no effective synthetic substitute.

Other Names: Ironwood (U.S.A.); guayacan negro, palo santo (Cuba); bois de gaiac
(France).

Sources: Tropical America and West Indies.

Characteristics: Heavey,  dense wood; interlocked, irregular grain; greenish-brown to
black.

Uses: Marine bearings, mallet heads, pulleys and turnings.

Workability:  Difficult; dulls cutters moderatly; not suitable for gluing unless treated
first.

Finishing:  Accepts finishes well  Weight:  77 lb./cu. ft.

Price;  Very expensive.

Tom S
A30 412

John Shell wrote:

> Actually, it's a single purchase downhaul.  Tie it off to the clew, to the
> lizzard (mine is halfway up the headstay) to the tack, to the cockpit.  You
> could go to the head of the sail if you want (I probably will, but I'm a
> creature of habit).  The idea being to pull the clew in and "break" the
> sail.
>
> Lignum vitea is a very hard and heavy wood.  I know it as being used for
> cleats, blocks, belaying pins, mallets, but the shaft log is a new one,
> thanks.  Interestingly, it doesn't float (learned the hard way)
>
> New vocabulary word:  Fife rails.
>
> John

 | Tightly-packed fleet bears down on Sydney.  Only a mile between the two leaders. |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860=32743498=bt_challenge        |