[alberg30] Valves and through hulls

Peter Amos P.A.Amos at tesco.net
Wed Jan 3 07:46:24 PST 2001

In December I was in an Ace Hardware in Florida looking at PVC  ball valves.They are dark grey with a red handle rated at 400p.s.i. no metal parts,N.P.T. and very solidly built.I believe the U.S. Coastguard does not approve plastic valves as they are not fire resistant, but that aside I cannot see any reason not to replace old and corroded bronze valves with these tough corrosion free products.Perhaps in very cold conditions they would become brittle, but PVC seems to stand up to freezing temperatures in domestic plumbing situations. Nobody in the marina could come up with a logical reason not to use them,but neither was there any enthusiasm either.Perhaps boaters are naturally conservative.Has anyone used these valves or know any horror stories about them.
Peter Amos
Tait Tait #478