[alberg30] Cutless bearings

Timothy C. Lackey tlackey1 at maine.rr.com
Wed Jan 3 04:33:48 PST 2001

> I don't mean to sound pedantic or annoy, but they are Cutless bearings.  A
> cutlass is a sword.  Does anyone know the origin of the term?  I have
always
> assumed that they were invented or manufactureed originally by someone or
> some company named Cutless.

Cutless was the original brand name of a bearing by an early manufacturer--I
think BF Goodrich, but I might be mistaken.  Strange as it may sound, I
heard that the name actually meant "cut less", as in, I suppose, less damage
to the shaft.  Technically, the proper term is water cooled shaft bearing,
but, like Kleenex of Scotch Tape, the original and major brand name has sort
of stuck for all such bearings.

Tim Lackey
North Yarmouth, ME