[alberg30] main sheave

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Fri Jan 12 16:55:31 PST 2001

Peter last winter I converted from wire to all rope halyard on the main.
I now can have the main up tight and tied off in seconds without any
problem.What I want to add to what John Bailey said,I had a nylon sheave
turned down in the yard where I work no cost.But what I really want to
say about the subject that has not been discussed is that,on my boat
anyway,the bolt that holds the upper shrouds is also the bolt that holds
the main sheave in place.I don't know what you know about rigging but I
would not attempt to replace the sheave with the mast up.The bow stay
and the aft stay is all to hold the top half of the mast,no side to side
support.Now if you owned a small smart monkey you could take a
chance,just kidding.Been a while since I contributed to the list,Sure
has been a different winter from last.Can't get to finish top sides with
cetol m much less go sailing,maybe a window of opportunity sat.All of us
sailors waiting for spring reminds me of a line I heard in a movie
once.The holy man was asked what his thoughts of wisdom were for that
day,his reply was "the oxen is slow but the earth is patient"

High Spirits #191 Galliano,La.                            Dick